The "Ellinikon" Photographic Project was recently admitted into the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum's art collection.
The exhibit is by Greek photographer Alexandros Lambrovassilis, who captured stunning photos of the old Athens airport, known simply as "Ellinikon."
As the photographer states on his website describing the project, "In my exploration I follow this thread of collective memory, reliving and photographing the landmass, the remains of human activity, and the symbols of an era that has come to an end. I stumble upon bittersweet visions of a once familiar public space."
The Ellinikon Airport was constructed in 1938 and was enhanced in the 1950's mainly by shipping tycoon Aristotle Onassis. The retired airport is examined by Lambrovassilis, who documents the historical aviation site and its changes, since its closure in 2001.
Additional information about the "Ellinikon" Photographic Project can be found at: http://www.lambrovassilis.com/border_portfolio/ellinikon/.
- "Athens is Back": The platform of the Municipality of Athens that supports businesses and consumers is one year old
- Dior show live from Athens to all over the world, on Thursday
- Emirates: Daily Athens – New York flight
- Delphi Economic Forum kicks off in Athens on Monday
- Greece and Turkey complete second round of talks