China’s renowned artist and activist Ai Weiwei visited the Greek border camp of Idomeni with his film crew on Wednesday.
Some 14,000 people are stranded there after new border restrictions were imposed along the Balkan migration route.
Ai walked around the makeshift camp speaking with the migrants – seeing for himself the difficult conditions they have to brave as they wait to cross over to FYROM and continue their trek northwards to wealthier European states.
Ai, known for his criticism of China’s human rights record, said he was witnessing a “huge, big violation of human rights” in the middle of Europe.
- Think Silicon is designing the next Artificial Intelligence chip in Greece
- Delphi Economic Forum kicks off in Athens on Monday
- Greece assumes one-year Presidency of the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA)
- Mitsotakis-Tsipras disagreement regarding the vote right for Greeks abroad
- Tsitsipas beats Djokovic 2-1 in Shanghai Masters in China