China’s renowned artist and activist Ai Weiwei visited the Greek border camp of Idomeni with his film crew on Wednesday.
Some 14,000 people are stranded there after new border restrictions were imposed along the Balkan migration route.
Ai walked around the makeshift camp speaking with the migrants – seeing for himself the difficult conditions they have to brave as they wait to cross over to FYROM and continue their trek northwards to wealthier European states.
Ai, known for his criticism of China’s human rights record, said he was witnessing a “huge, big violation of human rights” in the middle of Europe.
- Mitsotakis-Tsipras disagreement regarding the vote right for Greeks abroad
- Tsitsipas beats Djokovic 2-1 in Shanghai Masters in China
- Incredible photos of longest cruise ship ever passing through Isthmus of Corinth (photos)
- PM Mitsotakis in Berlin: Greece, Germany to present green development plan in December
- Turkish Interior Minister threatens Europe – If we open borders 30,000 refugees a day would flood Europe