The second congress of SYRIZA will open on Thursday afternoon with Prime Minister and party leader Alexis Tsipras' introductory speech.
The congress is characterised by two things. It is the first time that a left party holds a congress while being in government and secondly it is related to the European developments: A Europe that is being crushed by the rise of extreme right-xenophobic forces, a Europe where some believe "we'd better be alone than with other Europeans." And at the same time, citizens elect left parties (eg Portugal). Therefore, what is at stake is the European correlations and whether Europe's political turn will be to the left or the right.
The agenda of the second congress is expected to be rich: party-state-government relations, party planning which is different from government planning, citizens' rights, local administration, labour unions, public administration and education.
- Think Silicon is designing the next Artificial Intelligence chip in Greece
- Delphi Economic Forum kicks off in Athens on Monday
- Greece assumes one-year Presidency of the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA)
- Mitsotakis-Tsipras disagreement regarding the vote right for Greeks abroad
- Tsitsipas beats Djokovic 2-1 in Shanghai Masters in China
Latest from E.Tsiliopoulos
- Taste Atlas: Greek cuisine second in the world: Kalamata oil, Aegina pistachios, dakos and saganaki are loved by foreigners
- Diplomatic sources: We reject in their entirety the baseless and unfounded Turkish arguments,
- Laments at the "last farewell" to lieutenant Turoutsikas: "Immortal", people shouted
- Economist: Greece rises 9 places in the "democracy index"
- 2023 Eleusis European Capital of Culture opening weekend on Saturday, Feb. 4