As extremely right-winged political party Golden Dawn gains international support, Greek-American filmmaker Richard Ledes has created a short film, Golden Dawn, NYC that will be released tomorrow, June 10th.
The documentary's goal is to bring awareness to the party's New York City activities. Ledes commented in his movie's director's statement, "I am Greek-American...I also started studying ancient Greek at a young age and continued to do so through obtaining a doctorate in Comparative Literature from NYU. Greece is known as the cradle of democracy, Greeks suffered terribly under Nazi occupation, and yet Greece has become fertile ground for Nazism. This has taken place in the wake of the 2008 global economic crisis and the austerity program that Europe continues to impose as its cure. I wanted to do a documentary on the neo-Nazi party in Greece known as Golden Dawn. It has become the third largest party in the country", according to the Pappas Post.
The Greek-American cinematographer collaborated with historian Dan Georgakas to produce the film. The two interviewed various leading Greek figures in New York. As stated by Ledes, they offered a "vivid and engaging set of connections about what is happening in Greece, how some members of the Greek community in New York are confronting this rise and what needs to be done. I further place what is going on in Greece in terms of the price paid by Americans a few generations ago to eradicate Nazism." A clip of Golden Dawn, NYC can be viewed below.
- The Hellenic Initiative launches “Plant A Tree In Greece” to support Greek Homeland
- Eurovision 2022: What bookies show for Greece in the final (vid)
- US State Sec. joins FMs of Greece, Israeli, Cyprus in reaffirming commitment to promoting peace, security and prosperity in east Med
- Russian oligarch Malofeev: New sanctions from the USA with reference to activities in Greece
- Cryred Investments 100% control of luncheon meats maker Nikas via 'squeeze out'