The Penny Marathon will be held in Athens and Sydney this year, on July 13th.
The race's theme is to raise awareness on stray, neglected, and abused dogs and cats in Greece and all over the world. It was established in 2012, when an animal lovers group cycled and ran from Marathonos to Athens.
Two sisters Ellie and Pep Prodromou created the annual event. They named it the Penny Marathon, in honor of a stray dog living on the Athenian streets.
The race is a 42 kilometer run and also strives to educate the public about animal rights and behavior.
The Penny Marathon also is a way to commemorate volunteers who advocate for humane treatment to the world's strays. Over 70 people participated in last year's race. More information can be accessed at: www.pennymarathon.com.
- Comicdom, an annual paradise for comics aficionados, opens in April 10-12
- Beautiful St. Nicholas Thon chapel reopens to public
- Hermes head, part of Herma column revealed during roadworks in downtown Athens
- Alarm over covid - New measures being considered
- Athens is not doing well: Great concern for Attica, coronavirus cases at high levels