The Penny Marathon will be held in Athens and Sydney this year, on July 13th.
The race's theme is to raise awareness on stray, neglected, and abused dogs and cats in Greece and all over the world. It was established in 2012, when an animal lovers group cycled and ran from Marathonos to Athens.
Two sisters Ellie and Pep Prodromou created the annual event. They named it the Penny Marathon, in honor of a stray dog living on the Athenian streets.
The race is a 42 kilometer run and also strives to educate the public about animal rights and behavior.
The Penny Marathon also is a way to commemorate volunteers who advocate for humane treatment to the world's strays. Over 70 people participated in last year's race. More information can be accessed at: www.pennymarathon.com.
- "Athens is Back": The platform of the Municipality of Athens that supports businesses and consumers is one year old
- Dior show live from Athens to all over the world, on Thursday
- Emirates: Daily Athens – New York flight
- Delphi Economic Forum kicks off in Athens on Monday
- Greece and Turkey complete second round of talks