Golden Dawn European Parliament MPs Eleftherios Synadinos and Georgios Epitideios are planning to visit Melbourne and Sydney, according to the political party's local spokesperson Ignatius Gavrilidis.
Gavrilidis stated that the two party members are traveling to Australia, "to raise funds and increase awareness among Greek-Australians", that was revealed in his ABC interview. He confirmed that Golden Dawn has about 60 to 70 "activists" in the nation, along with thousands of "supporters". The amount was calculated via social media usages.
In the interview, the spokesman shot down claims that Golden Dawn is a neo-Nazi party, but did admit that some of its delegates respected Adolf Hitler. He stated, "Yes, they have admired the leadership of Hitler, just like we also admire the leadership of many strong leaders across the world. Vladimir Putin is a very strong leader. He's got integrity. Benjamin Netanyahu is a very strong leader".
Former Minister for Multicultural Affairs and Citizenship Nicholas Kotsiras stated to ABC that Golden Dawn is not significantly supported by the Greek-Australian community. "I am embarrassed by the existence of Golden Dawn. Golden Dawn does not represent me, it does not represent my family and does not represent the vast majority of Greeks living in Victoria", he described.
- Golden Dawn members in jail - Lagos awats lifting EMP immunity, Pappas fled
- SYRIZA's Polakis attacks singer Sakis Rouvas for Golden Dawn sympathies
- SYRIZA expels Kontonis for criticism over penal code
- Political storm over SYRIZA regulations that "soften" Golden Dawn sentences
- Court finds Golden Dawn guilty of being a criminal organization