Australian PM Tony Abbott today announced the composition of his new government naming Greek Australian liberal senator Athanasios Synodinos deputy economy minister.
This came as a surprise since Mr. Synodinos was expected to head the economy ministry and has made main headlines in today's The Australian Financial Review.
According to the newspaper, sources within the ruling coalition noted that there is a possibility that Mr. Synodinos will have to testify in front of a relevant committee inquiring into corrupt practices in New South Wales on issues that predate his election to the senate. The government would not like to find itself in a "compromising" position, they added.
- Sydney area renamed "Little Athens"
- Greek Australian sportscaster to run as mayor of Perth
- 'Everything turned black in the middle of the day' says Greek-Australian who lost his house in the NSW fires
- Work and Holiday Visa agreement between Greece and Australia swings into effect
- Rethymno sends soil from battlefield to Australia